Friday 18 September 2015

Author Interview & Book Promo: Next Stop: Nina by Robin Raven @RobinRaven

Today, I am pleased to host Robin Raven and her new book, Next Stop: Nina, a time travel romance. She has taken time out of her busy schedule to be interviewed by me. Please give her a warm welcome.



Book Title: Next Stop: Nina
Genre: Time Travel Romance
Pages: 243
Author: Robin Raven
Date Published: 18 July 2015

Synopsis:

Nina is pushed to the edge, then falls over that edge into a whole new world.

There's something different about Nina; she never felt comfortable in this world. As she struggles to cope with the pain of her present and past, the young girl's life is changed through the beauty of art.

When Nina grows up and winds up in over her head in a dark place, she finds herself somehow transported to another time when nothing is quite what it seems. She must fight the horrors of her past all over again. Along the way, she faces greater challenges than she imagined and enjoys sweet surprises when she discovers true love. This is a character-driven novel with a heroine who faces suicidal depression on her own terms, and that's just the beginning. 


Author Interview:

1. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

I grew up wanting to be a writer. I always enjoyed writing stories on notebook paper and would create fiction and novels as a kid. It’s been a dream that I’ve had for pretty much all my life.

2. How long does it take you to write a book?

It depends on the story and the situation. It can range from a matter of months to years.

3. What do you think makes a great story?

A great story makes people think and feel. When you identify with the main character and maybe even realize something about yourself, that’s a special story. So many different things go into the creation of a great story, and they might be different for a thousand stories.

4. What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

I am a full-time writer, and I am thankful that it changes daily. I like having as much control of my schedule as I can because I am not fond of alarm clocks. I’m also a night owl, so I appreciate the flexibility. I work a lot of hours each day, but I like being able to decide when I work.

5. How do you balance family and writing?

I don’t have children, but I do try to create a healthy work-life balance by spending plenty of time with family and friends. Something has to give, though, so it just depends on what’s going on with my loved ones and also how much I need to be working.

6. Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?

I do research at libraries and online sometimes. Oftentimes I’ll simply get inspired while going about my everyday life. I come up with a lot of ideas each day, so it’s picking and choosing which ones I truly want to write.

7. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your book/s?

I have a dear friend who helped encourage me to finally share my fiction, and I really appreciate the support. I learned more about my self-worth throughout the process of creating and releasing the book that I ever expected to discover.

8. How many books have you written? Which is your favourite?

I have written well over a hundred, but I have only published one so far. So I will talk about my debut novel. “Next Stop: Nina” has a very special place in my heart because of some personal connections to it.

9. Are your characters based on anyone you know?

No, not at all. I am very firm about not creating fictional characters that are based on other people. Sometimes they do inspire a character in some way, but I make sure to not base fictional characters on a real-life people. I do give some of myself to quite a bit of my characters, but I also draw inspiration from many places. I am more likely to put feelings I’ve had into a story.

10. Do you have a favourite place you love to write?

No, but I love trying new places.

11. What do you like to do when you are not writing?

I love dancing, and I love to play piano. I enjoy creating music. I love driving and singing loudly when I do. I love spending time with animals and volunteering.

12. Do you have any suggestions to help aspiring writers better themselves and their craft? If so, what are they?

I’d suggest writing each and every day when possible. The best way to get better at writing is simply to keep writing each day. Even if you only write a paragraph, I think it’s worth the effort to write every day.

13. As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?

I wanted to be a writer and an actress.

14. What are your favourite books and which authors inspire you?

I love many books, but some favourites are “The Virgin Suicide” by Jeffrey Eugenides, “Practical Magic” by Alice Hoffman, and “Pet Sounds” by Quinn Cummings. Those authors also inspire me.

15. For an aspiring writer what do you feel are certain do's and don’ts for getting their material published?

Always proofread and have work edited whenever possible. Also, always remain professional even in the face of rejection.

16. What are you working on now?

I am working on a novel that I hope to share with readers very soon. My plan is to enter it in the Kindle Scout program after it has gone through beta readers and an editing process. This will be my first time trying that program, and I am quite excited.


Thank you for joining me today, Robin.


Purchase Links:

Next Stop: Nina is now available from the following shops: 



Author Biography:



Robin Raven is the human who once belonged to the greatest dog that ever lived. "Next Stop: Nina" is Robin's debut novel. She has several other works of fiction that she hopes to share in the near future.

Born in Mobile, Alabama, Robin grew up in a nearby town called Saraland, and her hometown is a lovely place that still inspires her. As an adult, Ms. Raven has mostly lived in Los Angeles and New York City, so she also considers those cities to be home.

Robin blogs at RobinRaven.com and often has her nose in a book. If she's not reading or writing, you can probably find Robin daydreaming about adopting a rescue donkey. Delicious vegan food rocks her world. So does effective altruism. In addition to being an author, Robin has worked as a professional actress. She loves to connect with fellow writers and readers, so feel free to say hi to her on social media.

Author Social Networking Links:

Blog:

Facebook:

Twitter:

Google+:

Instagram:

Pinterest:

No comments:

Post a Comment