Saturday 14 June 2014

Book Review of Tiger's Promise: A Tiger's Curse Novella (The Tiger's Curse Series Book 0) by Colleen Houck


Synopsis:

Before the curse, there was a promise. A prequel to the bestselling Tiger’s Curse series, this much anticipated novella recalls the beginning of Ren and Kishan’s story. Before Kelsey there was a girl, raised by a villain, whose love for a hero changed the course of history.

Trapped under the thumb of her abusive and powerful father Lokesh, Yesubai struggles to keep her own magical abilities secret while evading his dark powers. When Lokesh promises Yesubai to the prince of a neighboring kingdom, she becomes the central pawn in his plot to destroy the ruling family and take power for himself. Yesubai is trapped by her father's threats and desperate to protect the man she comes to love, but she knows that any decision she makes will have dire consequences. As dark forces gather around her, Yesubai must decide if she's willing to reveal that somewhere deep within her she has the power to change everything.


Review:


Tiger's Promise (The Tiger Saga, #0.5)Tiger's Promise by Colleen Houck
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is a prequel to the Tiger's Curse series. I loved it!

Yesubai is a fantastic character. I loved meeting her. She is actually one of the bravest characters in this series. She is sixteen years old, but has a maturity about her due to her upbringing. She has grown up in an abusive household, but her spirit has not been broken. She has a steely determination to not give in and show weakness. Meeting a prince from a neighbouring kingdom offers her the chance to change her fate. However, destiny intervenes.

This is a fabulous little novella, and we get to see Yesubai's childhood, and I found myself in awe of this young woman. She has not had an easy life, but she instinctively knows that her father is dangerous and not to be trifled with. However, she rebels in her own way. I love how the author brought the characters to life. Lokesh has no redeeming qualities that I could see. I was a bit confused as to why he kept Yesubai alive, even though he had killed her mother. I don't know what stayed his hand. Perhaps he did love his daughter in his own way. Nevertheless, I am glad that he did. The story doesn't have a happy ending, but I now understand how the "curse" was placed on Ren and Kishan.

However, this is not the end of the book, as there are a couple of bonus chapters. The first one is through the eyes of Yesubai's mother, Yuvakshi; and the second one is Ren's perspective when he agrees to be betrothed to Yesubai. Then there is a sneak peek at Tiger's Dream's prologue. However, I don't know when it will be released, and I am now quite anxious to get my hands on it!

Colleen Houck has written a wonderful back story to the Tiger's Curse series. Her characters are extremely lifelike and her descriptive prose made it easy for me to "see" the story as if watching a movie. She is a very talented writer, and I look forward to reading more of her books in the future.

I highly recommend this book if you love the Tiger's Curse series as a whole, or YA, Mythology, Romance or Action/Adventure genres. - Lynn Worton

View all my reviews


                         

No comments:

Post a Comment