Saturday 31 May 2014

Audio/Book Review of Tiger's Quest: Book Two (Tiger's Curse) by Colleen Houck



Synopsis:

Back in Oregon, Kelsey tries to pick up the pieces of her life and push aside her feelings for Ren. But danger lurks around the corner, forcing her to return to India where she embarks on a second quest-this time with Ren's dark, bad-boy brother Kishan, who has also fallen prey to the Tiger's Curse. Fraught with danger, spellbinding dreams, and choices of the heart, TIGER'S QUEST brings the trio one step closer to breaking the spell that binds them.

Review:


Tiger's Quest (The Tiger Saga, #2)Tiger's Quest by Colleen Houck
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is the second book in the Tiger's Curse series. I loved it!

I downloaded this as an audio book, as I wanted to read it, but just didn't have time. Annika Boras again narrated the tale. I loved the way she gave each character their own voice and personality. I don't know if it's because I have gotten used to her cadence, or if she felt more comfortable with the characters, but I preferred her reading this story to Tiger's Curse. In any case, she did a fantastic job.

Kelsey Hayes is a fantastic character. I liked her a lot. The teen angst has abated somewhat, as she has grown up quite quickly. She has been through a huge challenge to try to free Ren from his curse. She has faced danger, adventure and near death with bravery and courage. However, one of her toughest challenges lays ahead.

The story continues with Kelsey going back to Oregon and heading to university. This story again swept me up and carried me away. I was enthralled by the descriptions of the characters and places. The author must have done a lot research into myths and legends, because they are peppered through the tale and woven into a believable story. This time Kishan, Ren's younger brother, is brought into the story. I liked Kishan. He is another great character. He is just as honourable as his brother, but he made a mistake 300 years ago, and believes that he deserves to be cursed as a tiger. However, I am now torn between the two brothers; they are both great guys. I am not usually a fan of love triangles, but the author has made it hard for me not to fall for both of these men. I also fell for Lee, Kelsey's Woo shoo teacher. He's also another great character.
As a personal aside: Why are all fictional men so hard to resist? Do we hold a template of the ideal man in our DNA, and find real men somewhat lacking? Or are there really great guys like Ren, Kishan and Lee out there somewhere? If they are out there, why haven't I found one yet? End of aside.
I found myself on an emotional rollercoaster ride throughout the story, and had to dab away more than one tear several times during it. The quest is just as deadly as the first one, even a bit more perhaps, and I listened with rapt attention as Kelsey and Kishan travel to Shangri-La to find "The Airy Piece". However, there is a nasty twist in this viperous tale in the form of Lokesh, Yasubai's father and the man who caused the two princes to become tigers in the first place. He is still looking for the princes' pieces of the Damon amulet. There are huge, shocking twists and turns throughout the tale, as well as near the end, and now I can't wait to get the next part of the story, Tiger's Voyage as soon as possible.

Colleen Houck has written a fantastic YA story which is a completely action packed adventure. I love her writing style, which is fast paced and exciting without being rushed, and the flow is wonderful. I have added this author to my Favourite Author's list.

I highly recommend this book if you love YA, Mythology, Romance or Action/Adventure genres. - Lynn Worton

View all my reviews


                             

No comments:

Post a Comment