Thursday 3 April 2014

Book Review of Walking Wolf Road by Brandon M. Herbert



Synopsis:

—A new breed of Werewolf Urban Fantasy—

Marked by Brother Raven…

Uprooted and dumped in a small town at the edge of the Colorado mountains, Jimmy Walker is at odds with everything. He feels adrift, alienated from his classmates and even his own family. It’s hard enough just being a teenager in a new town, struggling with grades, depression, hostile classmates, and a stepfather bent on making his life hell—

Until a violent collision with fate leaves Jimmy bleeding under the light of a Full Moon.

Now, Jimmy’s entire world is transforming, and his new friends are not what they seem. Adolescence is challenging enough without a mysterious white wolf haunting his dreams, the ability to see and hear the dead, budding shamanic powers, and the soul of a wolf growing inside him. And when catastrophe shatters his world, Jimmy is pitted against the demons of his past, and must embrace his heritage and unravel the prophesies hidden in his dreams. In a race to discover and confront the menace that seeks to destroy everything he loves, Jimmy must draw on every power he has.
But will it be enough, or will Jimmy’s hidden nemesis kill him first?


Review:


Walking Wolf RoadWalking Wolf Road by Brandon M. Herbert
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I downloaded this book when I first bought my Kindle, as the blurb intrigued me. I am kicking myself for not reading this sooner, as I loved it!

Jimmy Walker is an intriguing character. I really liked him a lot. He is a teenage boy full of loneliness and angst. Bullied and overweight, he is struggling to find a place to fit in. It's not easy when his family has just moved to a new town. However, a fateful encounter will change his life forever.

I love the idea of shapeshifters - wolves, bears, big cats etc., and I was completely hooked with the blurb of this book and decided to give this book a try. I'm glad I did, because the story was an exciting roller coaster ride from start to finish. The story was a bit hard to get into at first, but as I got further into the book (the second chapter), I was hooked pretty quickly and I began to really enjoy the story. I felt for Jimmy as his life unravels and then gets re-built. He is one of the nicest characters I have met in between the pages of a book, and his bravery in embracing his heritage blew me away. This story had me in tears in places, and giggling in others. The interaction between Jimmy and the other characters, especially his younger brother, was extremely touching. Even his new friends and pack members, Fen, Loki and Geri are interesting characters. Their personalities are all different, and they each have their own problems and angst issues. The story is told from Jimmy's point of view, and takes the reader through an amazing journey full of twists and turns. I have always been interested in the spiritual beliefs of the Native American people and the author seems to have the same interest. He also seems to have done a lot of research, or has had some experience in Shamanism. His descriptions of the rituals and practices brought them to life. He made me want to find my spiritual inner animal. The end of the book has a slight twist that I didn't expect, but it made an interesting conclusion to a most intriguing urban fantasy.

Brandon M. Herbert has written an exciting urban fantasy that kept me highly entertained. I loved his writing style which, although not especially fast paced, flowed wonderfully and made me want to keep a look out for more of his work in the future.

I highly recommend this book if you love pararnormal, shifter or urban fantasy genres. - Lynn Worton

View all my reviews


                          

No comments:

Post a Comment